Level 3 Biology
Teacher in Charge: Mr J. Fraser
Biology is the scientific study of life. It is a subject which explores the living world: its ecology, processes and relationships. Through this study, students gain an understanding of themselves, the world, and how organisms survive and live together. They also develop essential scientific knowledge, methods and techniques. From here, students are able to analyse scientific information effectively and discuss the wide range of implications science has on their world, including medical and environmental issues. Biology is a fascinating subject and is important for careers and in a variety of areas, from health and medicine through to sports science, environmental science, marine science and anthropology.
This course focuses on:
- Studying how human physiology controls our bodies
- Investigating the evolution of modern and ancient humans and how their journey has shaped our modern world and anatomy
- Examining how plants and animals detect and respond to their environments and each other
- Running practical investigations into animal behaviour
- Developing the skills to analyse information from the net around a contentious scientific issue
Recommended Prior Learning
Minimum 12 credits in Level 2 Biology.
Course can be endorsed with Merit or Excellence
This course is approved for University Entrance.
Total Credits Available: 19 credits.
Externally Assessed Credits: 9 credits.
Internally Assessed Credits: 10 credits.
Approved subject for University Entrance
Number of credits that can be used for overall endorsement: 19
* These standards contribute to the 14 credits required for UE approval.