Year 9 English
Teacher in Charge: Mrs A. Reeves
This course develops skills in written, oral and visual language
through the study of novels and nonfiction, short stories, poems, film, drama and media.
- Reading: The course encourages and supports personal reading across a range of texts through regular engagement with the school library, individual and whole class text study and personal reading tasks.
- Formal Writing: A focus on building the skills to produce convincing and technically accurate paragraphs, instructions and explanations. Learners are introduced to essays or supported to extend their essay skills.
- Creative Writing: Learners explore and develop skills for personal, descriptive, and a range of narrative writing forms.
- Oral & Visual: Presenting skills are developed through a range of activities. Reading oral and visual texts are explored in a variety of forms including
designing and developing digital texts fit for audience and purpose, speeches,
monologues, posters, graphic novels and radio.
- Information Literacy: Understanding the basic processes of research with a focus on reliability of sources.
Year 9 Compulsory Subjects, English
Year 10 English